Mpumalanga is in for a cloudy day according to the latest forecast by the SA Weather Service.
Areas such as Mbombela, Carolina, and Ermelo is expected to be experiencing some rain.
ALSO READ: Mpumalanga son kills father for ‘blocking’ his music dream
WEATHER FORECAST FOR MPUMALANGA
Here is the weather forecast for your area:
SAFETY WHILE DRIVING IN THE RAIN
Arrive Alive has issued some tips when driving in severe weather.
- To keep a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you, increase the three-second rule to five-six seconds.
- Slow down if it is raining and the roads are wet. Remove your foot from the accelerator and gradually reduce your speed.
- Never apply the brakes abruptly as this may cause the car to skid.
- Slow down and be prepared to move to the left shoulder if an oncoming vehicle is overtaking from the opposite direction and will not be able to do so safely.
- Only move towards the shoulder if you can see 150m ahead of you clearly. Keep in mind that pedestrians may be walking on the shoulder to avoid mud on the road’s surface.
ALSO READ: Funnel cloud spotted in Mpumalanga
- Be cautious of oil patches. Do not slam on the brakes; instead, steer through. Patches will be small in most cases.
- Before taking a bend, especially a sharp bend, always shift into a lower gear. As you approach the bend, your speed should be at its slowest, and both hands should be on the steering wheel. When driving around a bend, this slow in/fast out technique gives you the most control.
- Double your normal following distance from 3 seconds to 6 seconds to increase your space cushion.
- Switch on your headlights.
- Other vehicles in the rear and in blind spots should be avoided because they are difficult to see through rain-splattered windows.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ARTICLES BY MICHELLE SWART