Despite abortions having been legal in South Africa since November 1996, it is estimated that between 52% and 58% of the estimated 260 000 abortions that take place in South Africa every year are illegal.
According to the World Health Organization, around 7 million women are admitted to hospitals every year in developing countries as a result of unsafe abortions.
On Monday, the Gauteng Department of Health warned women against the dangers and side effects of backstreet abortions.
They urged women not to risk their lives with these “fly-by-night” abortions as they have many side effects including infections, severe blood loss and damage to the cervix which can prevent you from falling pregnant again.
When can you get an abortion in South Africa
According to the South African government website, a woman must be less than 13 weeks pregnant to get an abortion without providing a reason for the termination.
A pregnancy between 13 and 20 weeks can only be terminated under specific conditions.
An abortion past the 20-week mark of pregnancy is not allowed in South Africa unless either the mother or foetus’s life is in danger or if there are likely to be serious birth defects.
ALSO SEE: The three types of stress women face, depending on their age
Is it free to get an abortion in South Africa?
Abortions are free at government hospitals and clinics in South Africa.
If you opt to get your abortion done at a private facility like the Marie Stopes clinics, the procedure can cost anything between R2 100 and R6 500 depending on the type of abortion you need.
Where to get a free abortion in Gauteng:
- Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital
- South Rand District Hospital
- Chiawelo Community Health Centre
- Hillbrow Community Health Centre
- Lenasia South District Hospital
- Zola Community Health Centre
- Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital
- Bertha Gxowa District Hospital
- Thelle Mogoarane Regional Hospital
- Jabulani Dumani Community Health Centre
- Pholosong Regional Hospital
- Nokuthela Ngwenya Community Health Centre
- Tembisa Regional Tertiary Hospital
- Esangweni Community Health Centre
- Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital
- Odi Distric Hospital
- Kgabo Community Health Centre
- Soshanguve Community Health Centre
- Phedisong 4 Community Health Centre
- Jubilee District Hospital
- Kalafong Provincial Tertiary Hospital
- Laudium Community Health Centre
- Tshwane District Hospital
- Stanza Bopape Community Health Centre
- Eersterust Community Health Centre
West Rand District
- Carletonville Hospital
- Dr Yusuf Dadoo Hospital
- Leratong Hospital
- Randgate Clinic
- Heidelberg District Hospital
- Sebokeng Regional Hospital
- Johan Heyns Community Health Centre