The KwaZulu-Natal provincial government has denied claims that it paid R50 million for the funeral costs of Mandla ‘Mampintsha’ Maphumulo.
The 40-year-old Mampintsha, who was a leading member of Big Nuz, the popular award-winning musical group which started in Umlazi, died on Christmas eve after suffering a minor stroke after attending a gig in Durban.
Mampintsha was laid to rest at a funeral service last week at the Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre in Durban.
KwaZulu-Natal Premier Nomusa Dube-Ncube visited Maphumulo’s family and his widow, Bongekile ‘Babes Wodumo’ Simelane, at their home ahead of the memorial service on Thursday morning.
ALSO READ: WATCH: Mampintsha laid to rest
While the KZN provincial government announced that it would be assisting with the burial of Mampintsha, it denied it paid R50 million for the musician’s funeral.
It said it is “regrettable that it is forced to respond to the false rumours being spread on the social media regarding its support to the dignified send-off of our Kwaito and Gqom star Mandla Mampintsha Maphumulo.”
Spokesperson Lennox Mabasao said R320 000 was given to the family by the provincial government.
R170 000 of this came from the office of the Premier, R50 000 from the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture, while the remaining R100 000 was provided by the eThekwini metro.
“The falsehood being peddled about R50 million is nothing more than a figment of imagination by those who are morally and spiritually bankrupt.
“We further wish to appeal to the public to be circumspect and not abuse the power of social media by spreading false information,” Mabaso said.
ALSO READ: WATCH: Mourners at Mampintsha’s memorial count down to the New Year